Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Courtesy.

When it comes to courtesy... there are various kinds. When talking to a friend, stranger, in the service industry, etc.

Especially in the service industry. Courtesy is more of an expectation rather than an extra quality that we would like you to have. Anyway, I expect some kind of courtesy. Politeness if you like.

So what got me to talk about this. Well, I have a list of phone numbers to call. In many ways, they are part of the service industry. But at first glance, for my purpose, probably not so much. In any case. Whoever it was who picks up the call on the end of a reputable and highly regarded company should at least have some sort of phone courtesy.

Don't just say Hello mister. On my end, I would be wondering, did I get the right number. Is this one of the BIG FOUR? I state my name and presented my enquires. Silence on the other end. And I was passed on to another lady without a word. Ok. Shocked? Amazed? I was surprised? I can't put a finger on it. Again I state my name and presented my enquires. Flustered. We're having lunch now. Please call later. Sounded like a sweet lady. But lady. I finished my lunch 3 hours ago. When do you?

Is this one of the BIG FOUR? Certainly does not sound like it. Maybe because I was only looking for a lowly internship position. But perhaps I could have reeled in a major client in for you BIG FOUR! Now why would I want to do that for you now?

I think disappointment would be an understatement. I know I can't complain when I am looking for something from them. But still. Is this a Malaysian culture? Were my expectations wrongly placed?

All judgement aside. I will call again after lunch.
Sigh.

Then again I know that most of the companies I'm looking only have departments I have no relation to. Perhaps not as beneficial as I would have hoped.

Hmmm...

Verdict: I called two and both recruited. One, I have to send in my application. Hmmm...

What now? Does banks take interns? I have been googling for NGOs. None in Ipoh?




1 comment:

  1. i got the same bitching from one of the big fours too. scumbags.

    hey lainey, you coming back to ipoh? when? we need to catch up :D

    ReplyDelete